He began judo over forty years ago, as a young boy living in east Los Angeles. Through the 1970s and 1980s he was a competitor with Los Angeles Tenri Dojo, at the time, the number one judo school in the country. Sensei Elizalde competed in an amazing FOUR Olympic Trials and was twice alternate to the U.S. Olympic Team.
In his 45 years of judo, Richard Elizalde has coached over fifty national champions and five international champions. He has been certified as a judo instructor by all three national organizations, the United States Judo Federation, United States Judo Association and USA Judo.
He was an instructor at Mojica Judo Club in 1998 when former student, teammate and world judo champion AnnMaria (Burns) Rousey brought her little daughter, Ronda for lessons. Ronda, of course, grew up to be a two-time Olympian, world silver medalist and Olympic bronze medalist, winning many, many tournaments with the uchimata (inner thigh throw) taught to her by Sensei Blinky.
Sensei Elizalde teaches at the West Coast Judo Training Center on Sundays (see schedule) and is also available for private lessons. His private instruction is tailored to the individual and includes:
- Children's lessons for beginners
- Technique instruction for junior national judo competitors
- Technical instruction for senior national judo competitors
- Instruction on standing and mat techniques for jiu-jitsu and MMA athletes who wish to cross-train in judo or strengthen their game with additional techniques
- Judo development and analysis off the mat for elite players, including goal-setting, training plan and video analysis
- Personal training for adults and adolescents who want to get in better shape and are looking for something more fun and challenging than running on a treadmill.
To schedule an appointment, you can call (562) 619-6128
or show up at practice on Sunday!
Anyone is welcome to come and watch.